Job ID: 262162
The Medical College of Georgia's Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Augusta University is seeking a full-time, non-tenure track faculty member at the rank of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor. The selected candidate will be a board certified/board eligible, fellowship-trained Orthopaedic Hand Surgeon to join a busy, established faculty practice in Augusta, Georgia. Together with colleagues, the candidate will be responsible for the overall clinical care of adults and children and upper extremity patients both as inpatients and outpatients and be an active participant in the on-call schedule.
Given the vision and mission of the Medical College of Georgia and the academic level of the department, the candidate should also have a major interest in education, research, and a personal career development plan that is expected to be pursued vigorously after appointment. The ideal candidate will be committed to cultivating an academic surgical practice with involvement in resident teaching and clinical and/or basic science research.
The ideal candidate must demonstrate a commitment to patient care and enthusiasm for creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We highly value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty, and staff of diverse backgrounds because our mission is to deliver quality, compassionate patient care, advance the field of Orthopedics through research, and train the next generation of health experts.
Responsible for the standard of practice for patient population at a Level I Trauma Center.
· Responsible for maintaining a private office and all clinical decision making within the office during times of service.
· Acts as an advisor and consultant in the establishment of operational policies of the practice to include: (1) Purchasing and capital allocations; (2) Managed care plan participation; (3) m Budget and practice expenses; (4) Medicare/Medicaid participation; (5) Billing and collection of professional fees; (6) Personnel management and related policies; (7) Risk management and quality assurance; and (8) Coding compliance.
· Shared responsibility for after-hours call coverage for patients of the practice, in addition to office appointments.
· Participates in community service activities, including speaking engagements, writing and special clinical programs as reasonably requested.
· Responsible for all risk management, coding compliance and quality assurance activities and functions in and related to the practice.
· Works in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
· Patient Care - 95% and Teaching - 5%
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· MD or DO from an accredited medical school, completion of an accredited Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
· Board certified/eligible, and completion of a Hand Surgery Fellowship; licensed to practice as an MD or DO in the State of Georgia with at least 5 years of experience.
· Assistant Professor- Early level career as a faculty member with appropriate post graduate training.
· Associate Professor - Mid level career faculty member with at least five years at rank of Assistant Professor or comparable training, background, and experience.
· Professor - Senior level career faculty member with at least five years at the rank of Associate Professor or comparable training, background, and experience.
· Required faculty employment qualifications for all USG institutions and all academic ranks within these institutions shall be:
o Consistent with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)¿s requirements for institutional accreditation;
o Evidence of ability as a teacher;
o Evidence of activity as a scholar and ability in all other duties assigned;
o Successful experience (which will necessarily be waived for those just entering the academic profession who meet all other requirements); and,
o Desirable personal qualities judged on the basis of personal interview, complete biographical data, and recommendations.
This position is fiscal year based and works year-round.
The intended work commitment or full-time equivalent (FTE) for this position is 1.0 and considered full-time.
Assistant Professor- Salary and compensation is commensurate with education, experience, and achievements. The salary is subject to availability of funds.
Associate Professor- Salary and compensation is commensurate with education, experience, and achievements. The salary is subject to availability of funds.
Professor- Salary and compensation is commensurate with education, experience, and achievements. The salary is subject to availability of funds.
Comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, 13 paid holidays, vacation leave, sick leave, generous retirement plans, wellness options, and much more!
Rank and salary are determined at the time of hire and are based on a variety of factors including but not limited to experience, education, credentials, specialty, training, etc. while also considering internal equity and market data.
Advancement through the faculty ranks at Augusta University is only through the annual Promotion and Tenure process in which faculty may apply if eligible (typically five-year increments). For more information on ranks, please review the Augusta University Promotion and Tenure Guidelines: https://www.augusta.edu/hr/faculty-support-ser/procedures/augusta_university_promotion_tenure_guidelines_feb_2020.pdf
The Medical College of Georgia is one of the nation¿s largest medical schools by class size, with 260 students per class. The educational experience is anchored by the main campus in Augusta, regional clinical campuses for third- and fourth-year students across the state and a second four-year campus in Athens in partnership with the University of Georgia. MCG¿s expanding partnerships with physicians and hospitals across Georgia currently provides about 350 sites where students can experience the full spectrum of medicine, from complex care hospitals to small-town solo practices. MCG and its teaching hospitals also provide postgraduate education to more than 500 residents and fellows in 50 different Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education-approved programs. Our researchers and clinicians focus on what most impacts the health of Georgia's and America¿s children and adults, including cardiovascular biology and disease, cancer, neurosciences and behavioral sciences, public and preventive health, regenerative and reparative medicine, personalized medicine, and genomics. Our physician faculty also share their expertise with physicians and patients at about 100 clinics and hospitals statewide.
Augusta University is Georgia's innovation center for education and health care, training the next generation of innovators, leaders, and healthcare providers in classrooms and clinics on four campuses in Augusta and locations across the state. More than 9,000 students choose Augusta for educational opportunities at the center of Georgia's cybersecurity hub and experiential learning that blends arts and application, humanities, and the health sciences. Augusta is home to Georgia's only public academic health center, where groundbreaking research is creating a healthier, more prosperous Georgia, and world-class clinicians are bringing the medicine of tomorrow to patient care today
Our Health Sciences Campus: 1120 15th Street, Augusta, GA 30912
Conditions of Employment
All selected candidates are required to successfully pass a Background Check review prior to starting with Augusta University.
If applicable for the specific position based on the duties: the candidate will also need to have a credit check completed for Positions of Trust and or approved departmental Purchase Card usage.
Final candidates will be required to provide proof of completed academic degree(s) as well as post-secondary coursework in the form of original transcript(s). Those candidates trained by a foreign institution will also be required to provide an educational/credential evaluation.
All employees are responsible for ensuring the confidentiality, availability, and integrity of sensitive [patient, student, employee, financial, business, etc.] information by exercising sound judgment and adhering to cybersecurity and privacy policies during their employment and beyond.
How To Apply
To be considered an applicant for this position, you must apply online at http://www.augusta.edu/hr/jobs/faculty search Job ID: 262162.
Please upload your Curriculum Vitae, Research Statement, Professional References, etc., as one document.
This position is also responsible for promoting a customer-friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. "Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner every day with patients and families for success."
Augusta University is a tobacco-free environment, and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.