Physician Assistant, Orthopedic Surgery - West Hatfield
With energy and purpose, Cooley Dickinson Health Care, an affiliate of Mass General Brigham, is advancing health care in western Massachusetts. With a broad network of providers and facilities serving the Pioneer Valley, our services span a spectrum of medical and surgical needs, diagnostic care, rehabilitation, social work, behavioral health, and other critical needs of the community.
The Cooley Dickinson culture is built on living the values of our organization. Every employee is valued, no matter what professional function. Come work where you can make a difference every day, with opportunities for growth and development, in a great place to call home!
Cooley Dickinson Medical Group Orthopedics & Sports Medicine is where experienced, highly trained professionals advance the health of patients through specialized, expert treatment and prevention of musculoskeletal (bones, ligaments, muscles, tendons) problems. The practice’s holistic approach to orthopedics involves coordination of personalized services within the practice and with other providers, to ensure a comprehensive range of care to people of all ages. We have combined expertise in all major orthopedic specialties, including sports medicine, orthopedic trauma, hand & upper extremities, joint replacement and spine care.
Are you ready to bring your talent to this practice and join Dr. Hoffman in moving health care forward?
We are seeking a full-time Physician Assistant to support both practices in clinic on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays and joining Dr. Hoffman as first-assist in the operating room at Cooley Dickinson Hospital on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Our clinic is located at 4 West Street, West Hatfield, MA 01088 and we are open Monday-Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm with schedules staggered accordingly. As true partners to Dr. Hoffman, our Physician Assistants have the opportunity to work autonomously to the top of their licensure while also functioning as part of the collaborative team.
Our Physician Assistants are responsible for:
· Providing care for the patient population in the outpatient setting, including collaboration with supervising surgeon in clinic, ordering and reviewing x-rays, performing complete histories and physical examinations on new, established, preop, and postop patients
· Ordering, interpreting, and evaluating laboratory and diagnostic tests
· Developing appropriate plans of care and follow-up based on the outcomes of diagnostic, laboratory, and physical examination findings
· Coordinating care along the patient’s entire surgical journey (preop, postop, and recovery/rehab)
· Optimizing patients prior to surgery and being first assist in the OR (assisting with wound closure and various tasks between cases such as post orders and case preparation)
· Rounding on and discharging surgeon’s inpatients and inpatient consults
· Prescribing medications and narcotics as necessary according to organizational and state/federal regulatory policies and procedures
· Initiating consultations and referrals for patients
· Assessing postop wounds and managing other needs such as DME, PT prescriptions, and medications
· Evaluating new elective referrals and follow-up patients from the ED or Ortho injury clinic
· Managing a high volume of patient calls, Patient Gateway messages, emails and completing all outpatient clinical forms (FMLA, insurance disability, hardship needs)
· Providing high quality and timely documentation of clinic visits, admission and progress notes, procedure notes, and e-mail/phone conversations
· Providing patient-family teaching
· Acting as first call (with supervising surgeon as backup), expected to be 1:6 including weekends – this may include seeing consults in person if necessary
The ideal candidate profile is an independent, adaptable Provider who is confident in their clinical abilities and genuinely enjoys variety.
· Graduate of an accredited physician assistant program
· Certificate of registration from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Board of Registration of Physician Assistants
· 3+ years of orthopedic experience
· 3+ years of surgery experience
It is the policy of Cooley Dickinson Health Care to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Cooley Dickinson Health Care will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Cooley Dickinson Health Care embraces diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, and encourages people of color, veterans, people with disabilities, LGBTQ candidates, and people from other underrepresented groups to apply.
Primary Location MA-West Hatfield-CDP Cooley Dickinson Orthopedics and Sports Medicine
Work Locations CDP Cooley Dickinson Orthopedics and Sports Medicine 4 West Street West Hatfield 01088
Job Physician Assistants
Organization Cooley Dickinson Medical Group (CDP)
Standard Hours 40
Shift Day Job
Employee Status Regular
Recruiting Department Cooley Dickinson Medical Group
Job Posting Jan 31, 2024