May 31, 2021
University of Missouri
The School of Medicine and the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery are pleased to announce the opening of a Sr. Clinical Research Specialist position.
The Missouri Orthopaedic Institute, central Missouri's largest freestanding Orthopaedic center, is seeking an energetic, professional and highly motivated Clinical Research Fellow, who is interested in joining a fast-paced, highly productive team.
The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery’s World-Class Research program consists of a 49+ member team conducting basic science, translational and clinical orthopaedic research. The Missouri Orthopaedic Institute (MOI) houses the Thompson Laboratory for Regenerative Orthopaedics (TLRO), which is the only comprehensive orthopaedic research laboratory housed within a freestanding orthopaedic hospital in the world. Our robust Orthopaedic Research Division is responsible for more than 100 ongoing research projects, with more than 40 of those being clinical trials. The ideal candidate will play an instrumental role in the success of sustaining our department’s mission: advance the clinical, research and teaching components of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Missouri.
This position will partner with clinical and research staff to support advancement of the overall culture of Missouri Orthopaedic Institute and our C3 Orthopaedics Initiative (Comprehensive, Cutting Edge, Caring Culture), which fosters a fast learning and continuously improving organization to further our mission.
We have an opening on our team and are looking for someone with the following characteristics, which complement our culture and work environment:
1. Highly engaged and described as proactive and self-determined
2. Positive attitude, personable with a desire for close and collaborative working relationships
3. Thrive in a fast-paced environment and who will be flexible and problem-solve in real time
4. Highly organized who is detail-oriented
• Contribute to a positive, efficient, and high-functioning clinical research work environment
• Monitor clinical research processes/workflow to improve as necessary
• Initiate and engage in organized and professional communication and collaboration with clinical staff, clinical faculty, research team colleagues and research division leadership
• Be the expert clinical research team member in the following areas: clinical trial coordination, clinical research regulatory compliance, training and mentoring less experienced colleagues/students/new clinical research coordinators
• Work regularly and successfully with various data capture/research and analytics platforms and improve workflow processes when necessary
• Be the expert on assigned study protocols and projects
• Possess the knowledge and flexibility to cross-train for necessary back-up of other coordinators
• Pre-screen clinical patients for potential research enrollment per study protocol, guidelines, and IRB (institutional review board) approval
• Enroll research subjects into various research studies, which includes a compliant consent process (or assisting PI/Co-I with enrollment and consent)
• Completion of research follow-up visits per protocol
• Complete research specimen collection/mobilization in adherence with environmental health and safety protocols and IRB approval
• Build and write research protocols, consent documents, and create case report forms for those projects
• Submit IRB applications, amendments, personnel change forms, event reports, and annual reviews
• Practice accurate and timely reporting to the IRB as applicable
• Work closely with principal investigators, their clinical staff, residents and fellows, to ensure compliance with study protocols, research guidelines, policies and regulations
• Engage in timely and professional correspondence with external clinical research associates and sponsors
• Meticulous and organized documentation of research activity, data collection, adherence to protocol and adverse events
• Display the versatility necessary to work in multiple environments (Operating Room, Emergency Department, Clinic, Inpatient Areas)
• Acquire and use knowledge of institutional and federal regulations, policies and guidelines related to human research
• Stay compliant with Institutional Research training and IRB CITI training and all other training required or recommended by department or institution
• Assure research subject safety and protection at all times
Is this Position Academic, Private Practice, Health System/Hospital, VA/Military, or Other? Select ONE.